2.06.2012

what to do when sick knocks at the front door

so the kids are sick... not just a little sniff, sniff, cough, cough sick... double ear infection, bronchitis, lung infection, bad croup, cough so bad they puke kinda sick... and not just one but all four.  my kids have never been really sick like this so it has been pretty scary for me, especially while daddy has been away.  thank goodness for lovely aunties from far away who come to help with the puke, the fever, the menthol baths & stroking of sweaty brows. thank God almighty who always has a plan & always faithfully provides.

i have learned a lot about sickness the last couple of long nights & so i thought i would capitalize on it while i remember.  here are some of the things that have been super helpful in surviving the fevers & runny noses...

  • be proactive: i am a big fan of being proactive in just about every area of life including health.  we love our vitamins & homeopathic remedies.  a healthy diet full of immune boosters like blueberries & strawberries are a staple of our everyday diet.  i really believe this is why we have never been sick like this before.  exercise & water intake are also a crucial part in circulating those immune fluids.  all of these things should only accelerate when the chills start to set in!
  • get a breath of fresh air: cold, fresh air is the best medicine for any kind of sick... especially respiratory sick.  even though none of us felt like it, a morning & afternoon walk out in the winter air was the perfect remedy before nap & bed {i did make sure they were bundled!}.  open windows are a great option too.  it is also important as a care taker to embrace other forms of fresh air... like a phone call to a friend, a three minute nap, a good muscle stretch, a lit candle, a shower or getting out even if it's just to get more tempra from the drugstore. prioritize it.
  • be thankful:  it could be a lot worse.  i recently heard some say "look for the Christ not the anti-Christ" and it just blessed me deeply.  don't look for sick to get worse, look for the Christ to get bigger.  He always provides... without exception.  you just need to be open to receiving... avoid martyrdom at all costs.
  • never give up the fight of faith: when proactive measures don't fully prepare you, it can be very easy to give up the fight & wallow in discouragement.  as a woman of faith, i pray, i declare, i fight for what i know is mine. this includes the sniffles, the flu or anything else that dare cross my path.  it will all bend it's knee before the King of kings.  just because the terrible can sometimes intensify while declaring, this is no reason to give up.  just see it as a challenge... and keep fighting the good fight!
  • feed your soul: nothing heals like the Word does.  this psalm pretty much sums it all up...
psalms 27

The LORD is my light and my salvation—
      so why should I be afraid?
   The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
      so why should I tremble?
When evil people come to devour me,
      when my enemies and foes attack me,
      they will stumble and fall.
Though a mighty army surrounds me,
      my heart will not be afraid.
   Even if I am attacked,
      I will remain confident.
The one thing I ask of the LORD—
      the thing I seek most—
   is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
      delighting in the LORD’s perfections
      and meditating in his Temple.
For he will conceal me there when troubles come;
      he will hide me in his sanctuary.
      He will place me out of reach on a high rock.
Then I will hold my head high
      above my enemies who surround me.
   At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy,
      singing and praising the LORD with music.
Hear me as I pray, O LORD.
      Be merciful and answer me!
My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.”
      And my heart responds, “LORD, I am coming.”
Do not turn your back on me.
      Do not reject your servant in anger.
      You have always been my helper.
   Don’t leave me now; don’t abandon me,
      O God of my salvation!
Even if my father and mother abandon me,
      the LORD will hold me close.
Teach me how to live, O LORD.
      Lead me along the right path,
      for my enemies are waiting for me.
Do not let me fall into their hands.
      For they accuse me of things I’ve never done;
      with every breath they threaten me with violence.
Yet I am confident I will see the LORD’s goodness
      while I am here in the land of the living.
Wait patiently for the LORD.
      Be brave and courageous.
      Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.
    

3 comments:

  1. I will be praying that your little ones get better soon. And, thank you for your words today...I love being reminded and I love that there are other mothers out there (especially relatives)who share in the same walk of faith in our AMAZING Lord and Saviour!
    I would love to know what vitamins you give your children. I have been looking into something for a while and cannot quite get the right one that I am comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen sister! i love being fed by faith! motherhood should be subtitled the faithhood!
      I give my kids a liquid multivitamin called Kindervital {it makes it easier to digest & much more natural than some of the chewables}. it has lots of great immune boosters & has digestible calcium & vitamin D. it's a bit expensive but so are all the other vitamins... at least i know this one is getting utilized by their little bodies. we take dds plus junior probiotics daily blended in their milk. we also use greens+ kids in smoothies about twice a week. i also use a lot of homeopathic stuff at the first sign of a sniffle like coryzalia {for congestion} & stodal {for any type of cough or sore throat... made with a honey base... very soothing}. both homeopathic remedies are on sale at loblaws right now! the kindervital i usually have to find at a health food store {the large bottle will usually last the three oldest for once a day for about a month}. on a side note, i find any of the homeopathic stuff only works if you're really vigilant on dosing them the recommended amount which is often like 5x daily.
      phew! i'm tired just thinking about all of those vitamin doses! but it's so worth it when you avoid a nasty bug!

      Delete
  2. Whewf. Thanks so much for passing on your wisdom in the midst of caring for your kidlets. Love the faith words. God's been speaking the same thing to me this week too, so it was great to come on by your blog and have it all confirmed. Maryann

    ReplyDelete