12.11.2011

this is the house that love built

i've been thinking a lot lately about the role that love has in my mothering.  i recently found this paraphrase of 1 corinthians 13 from jean fleming's {a mother's heart}.

if i keep my house immaculately clean, and am envied by all for my interior decorating, but do not love in my family - i'm just another housewife.
if i'm always producing lovely things - sewing, art; if i always look attractive, and speak intelligently, but am not loving to my family - i am nothing.
if i'm busy in community affairs, teach sunday school, and drive in the carpool, but fail to give adequete love to my family - i gain nothing.
love changes diapers, cleans up messes, and ties shoes - over and over again.
love is kind, though tired and frazzled.
love doesn't envy another wife - one whose children are "spaced" better, or in school so she has time to pursue her own interests.
love doesn't try to impress others with my abilities or knowledge as a mother.
love doesn't scream at the kids.
love doesn't feel cheated because i didn't get to do what i wanted to do today - sew, read, soak in a hot tub.
love doesn't assume that my children are being naughty just because their noise level is irritating.
love doesn't rejoice when other people's children misbehave and make mine look good.  love is genuinely happy when others are honoured by their children.

it cuts right to the heart.  ouch!
all is empty without love.   all is empty without love. all is empty without love.   all is life sucking, soul draining without love.  love is the meaning, the reason. love endures all things.
i will have to meditate on this one daily i think.

Lord, teach me how to build this house out of love not out of competition, selfishness, frustration, martyrdom or any other man made concept.  teach me how to love like you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment